Helping students discover the artistry of English

Photo By unknown

By: Donny Sommesi, Reporter

Matt Czerak not only chose to work in the English department because of his immeasurable passion for reading and writing, but also for the chance to build friendships with his students and help as many people as he can.

Czerak did not always see English being a part of his future, but serving people always was. Czerak majored in physical therapy throughout his freshman year of college. It was until the end of that first school year that he realized physical therapy was not a good career fit for him. The reason why Czerak chose physical therapy in the first place, is because it was his way of helping those in need. Czerak’s logic was that if he went onto teaching English, he would guide even more people to discovering the artistry of the subject.

“I realized that I enjoyed English more, it just didn’t feel right doing physical therapy,” Czerak said.

At one point in college, Czerak was a math tutor. Even though math was not his expertise, he used his knowledge as a way to help others succeed. Since Czerak was familiar with the subject, he was capable of assisting his companions.

Being the oldest of seven, Czerak adapted to being a role model for his younger siblings. Having a positive outlook on everything and finding the best in every situation are some traits that have formed Czerak into the genuine person he is today.

“A lot of my students are the same age as some of my siblings, so I feel like I can connect to them in that way,” Czerak said.

Czerak’s family, cousins, old teachers, and a love for reading and writing has led him up to this point in life. Working with his students every day, and spending time with one another are moments that Czerak takes to heart.

“I would have to say that my favorite part about teaching is working with the students every day,” Czerak said.

Czerak has always presented himself with a positive charisma and a sense of humor. That is why he believes that him and his students are able to relate to each other.

If Czerak could go back in time and give himself advice, it would be to live in the moment, and enjoy everything while it lasts.

“I would tell myself not to get caught up in the little things,” Czerak said.