Track athletes are working for more titles

Photo By Sam Wolf

Track athletes warm up every day with static and dynamic stretches.

By: Brett Hansen, Reporter

Track season is just getting underway, and the varsity team has big goals and predictions for this season.

There are big expectations from last year with the team winning the NIB 12 indoor conference. Last season, Kanelands track team placed sixth in state, and the team is looking for another great season.

The varsity track team is preparing for the upcoming season by working hard in the off season, They have been coming in immediately after school, lifting weights and running.

The varsity track team understands that this season is going to be just as tough as last season because other schools have gotten much better, such as Sycamore, a big rival of Kaneland. The Kaneland and Sycamore rivalry was fueled by the past couple of Kane County meets.

“Last year I jumped number one in Kane County at 22 feet 6 inches.  My goal is to jump even further because I know there are guys right on my tail,” junior long jumper Ben Barnes said.

Every day after school the track team is either in the gym or in the hallways running and  working hard to get better.

“With the talent we have this year, we have a good shot at having an even better season.” senior shot put thrower Jaumaureo Phillips said.

The team lost some key players such as state qualifier Tanner Andrews,

“We lost a few senior runners that were really good, but there are some very good and hard working freshman and sophomores that will help also,” Barnes said.

The Knights also gained some players as well, such as Austin Vickery, a new shot put thrower who has intentions on contributing to the team.

“After hearing how good Kanelands track team was, I really just wanted to become a part of it,” Vickery said.

Kaneland’s varsity track team is ready to get this season underway. With the high expectations, they are ready to go.

“With the success we had last year, we are hoping to accomplish our goals and be the best in the state,” Barnes said.