Student led programs introduce a merger

By: Nick Boose, Executive Editor

Student Council and Peer Leadership have proposed a joining of the two groups starting in in the 2014-2015 school year.

“Student Council approached us at the beginning of the school year about merging. We have finally taken the leap,” Peer Leadership sponsor Lori Grant said.

As of press dead the merger between Student Council has not been approved by the school board for the 2014-2015 school year.

“We felt like this was a perfect time to put the merger into action because of all the changes in sponsors and other areas going on,” Student Council sponsor Sally Wilson said.

According to both sponsors, some students are uneasy about the merger of the two groups. Junior Kendall Krawcyck is the Junior Class Vice President in Student Council and a PLA in Peer Leadership.

“I wish it wouldn’t merge. It’s not for the best. There will be just too many opinions on everything,” Krawcyck said.

Other students like Junior Gracelyn Sizemore support the merger of the two groups.

“We do so many common things and we have the same basic ideas, and there would be more people. I’m especially for it when we are decorating for homecoming. We need people to help decorate,” Sizemore said.

According to Wilson and Grant, the structure of the program isn’t “quite set in stone.” The  tentative structure would be under an umbrella called Student Council. There would be subgroups called Peer Leadership and Student Government that the the members can be a part of. Everyone involved would participate in things having to do with spirit, such as Mr. Kaneland and Homecoming.

“[The merger] is just a growing experience for people,” Sizemore said.