Small school, huge progress

By: Noelle Espino, Editor

On Thursday, May 5th, in the Kaneland High School Auditorium, students and teachers were invited to an assembly celebrating KHS and Nicholson Elementary School for their academic progress.

These two schools were among 125 Illinois schools that received the Academic Improvement Award from the Illinois Honor Roll, recognized for a 7.5% or greater increase in their state testing scores.

According to Illinois Report Card, NES had 14% increase in students that met or exceeded in composite math and reading scores on the Illinois Standards Achievement Test 

The school improved from 38% in 2012 to 52% in 2013, comparing to the state average of 52%. On the 2013 Prairie State Achievement Examination, 69% of KHS students met or exceeded in composite scores increasing from 2012 by 10%; this exceeded the state averages of 51% and 53% in both years.

“I hope members of Kane County will take time to celebrate their achievements and work to ensure that students are prepared for college and careers,” Illinois State Schools Superintendent Christopher Koch said.

Koch proudly presented the awards to representatives NES Principal Dave Russell and KHS Principal Jill Maras.

“Improvement doesn’t come easily, there’s a whole group of people who put you first; who think about you and your education first,” Russell said.

Russell thanked the community and staff for assisting in student’s education.

Besides honoring the schools, KHS also distinguished individuals of the student body in the top ten percent of each grade level, projecting their names on the drop screen of the auditorium and asking the audience to stand if their names were present.

Special recognition was given to Senior Ethan Witt for receiving a perfect score of 36 on his American College Testing.  Maras rewarded Witt with a t-shirt depicting a Kaneland Shield on the front and the number 36 on the back.

The assembly drew to an end with a photo montage titled “who we are” comprised of memorable events of 2013 and 2014 at KHS.

Mara expressed her goals for the future of her school.

“I challenge each of you here today to use this experience as a stake in the ground- not of where we are going to stay, but as a reminder of who we want to be what we are capable of achieving,” Maras said.