Familiar storyline makes acting easier

Freshman+at+Kaneland+High+School+read+Romeo+and+Juliet.+

Photo By Annika Berger

Freshman at Kaneland High School read Romeo and Juliet.

By: Annika Berger, Reporter

This year’s fall play is Romeo and Juliet. It’s a familiar story for most students here at KHS, considering everyone studies this play their freshman year of English.

Sophomore Grayson Bilskey, plays Paris, the coveted bachelor and suitor to Juliet.

“I think I prefer acting because when we read it, Shakespeare was a whole other language to us,” Bilskey said.

Having already read Romeo and Juliet offers a unique perspective for those participating. It was helpful for the actors to have background knowledge and a good idea of the plot because, it is useful when attempting to portray it for others.

“In some ways, yes. Having already read it made it easier to act. The first time around you don’t understand it as well, but once we acted it, we know what it means on a physical and emotional level,” Bilskey said.

Previously analyzing it only partially influenced his decision to participate. He would have auditioned for a role even if he didn’t have a basic understanding of Romeo and Juliet. Paris is a suitor to Juliet that some argue caused the demise of the main characters.

“Its got a really good plot and a compelling storyline,” Bilskey said.

Many educators agree that acting out a story can aid overall comprehension. Not only do you remember the story better when you experience it, but it also makes characters easier to discern.

English teacher Emily Fuchs has a lot of experience in teaching Shakespeare, an area that many students have trouble understanding. It can be hard to comprehend old English considering it’s very different than modern language.

“Certain parts definitely lend themselves better to acting them out,” Fuchs said.

It’s important to experience parts like the iconic balcony scene and Mercutio’s death because they are major turning points with so much going on.

“It’s meant to be acted, it’s meant to be seen, it’s meant to be experienced. By reading it you’re only getting one dimension of what that play is,” Fuchs said.