December 23: Family is the first thing on Markovich’s mind

By: Annika Berger, Reporter

Winter break is something that many students look forward to. It’s two weeks without school and time to spend with family and friends. Just like students, administration and teachers are not exempt from enjoying this time.

School psychologist John Markovich loves the holiday season. Multiple elements go into making this time of year special.

“I spend it [break] with my family, mostly. We go visit my wife’s family in Wisconsin, but besides that, it’s usually pretty quiet,” Markovich said.

Just like many families, Markovich and his family have a few traditions that make their celebrations unique.

“Instead of having just Christmas, we have a three day extravaganza”, Markovich said.

The bustling from place to place is definitely worth being able to see all of your loved ones for Christmas.

“My wife’s family, they celebrate Christmas eve-eve, the eve of Christmas eve. We celebrate Christmas eve with her grandparents and then we spend Christmas day with my parents,” Markovich said.

Family is the first thing on Markovich’s mind when he thinks about the holidays. He and his wife have a one-month old and a two-year old.

“I love what I do here, but at the same time I really love spending time with my little ones,” Markovich said.

The Christmas spirit spreads from school to home and back as the holiday inches closer.

“My wife makes it a big event to put the Christmas tree up, and of course she plays Christmas music all day, so I know Christmas is on the horizon when that happens,” Markovich said.

Food is just one of the things that brings his family together around the holidays.

“My dad’s stuffing is really, really, really good. He puts some sausage in there and it just tastes outstanding. I only get it twice a year, Thanksgiving and Christmas, so it’s always a treat,”Markovich said.

However, sweets are what really make the Christmas feast complete.

“My dad makes some great pumpkin and banana-cream pies,” Markovich said.