Night of recognition takes a turn around

Kaneland+Arts+Initiative+executive+director+Maria+Paulson+recaps+how+the+fine+arts+festival+went.+

Photo By Lucas Rotter

Kaneland Arts Initiative executive director Maria Paulson recaps how the fine arts festival went.

By: Madeline Mohatt, Executive Editor

On May 9, 2016, the Kaneland School District 302 Board of Education gathered for one of their biweekly meetings. The encounter was held at Kaneland Harter Middle School at 7 p.m..

Teachers taking part in the IMSA Fusion Sessions — STEM — kicked off the meeting by presenting a brief overlook on what their students have learned throughout the midst of the course.

After receiving a round of applause from those in attendance, STEM teachers found their seats and handed the floor over to associate superintendent Julie Fuchs.

Fuchs, shined light on the teachers who were both nominated for educator of the year, and those who won: high school spanish teacher Michelle Jurcenko and elementary teacher Jessica Weibler.

A theme of “recognition” seemed continuous as Fuchs brought attention to those retiring after this, current, school year. Each soon-to-be retiree received a standing ovation and gift presented by the board.

The recollection of those retiring was followed by a moment of appreciation for those who have provided Kaneland with 25 years of service.

The night of recognition took a bit of a twist when the board opened for public comments.

The first public comment was made by Sugar Grove community member and KHS parent Heidi Kintz who brought attention to the Kaneland High School track program.

“These coaches go above and beyond what ‘normal’ coaches do. They have such a vested interest in the kids. They make the kids better athletes, but more importantly, they make them better men [for boys track, but I’m sure the same goes for women’s track too],” Kintz said.

Kintz expressed her feeling towards the stipends placed on the assistant track coaches at the high school.

“These coaches know so much, and they care so much. They just need to be rewarded for their dedication,” Kintz said.

Along side of Kintz was KHS alumni Brock Robertson, as well as his parents.

Robertson graduated with the class of 2013 with not only four years of KHS educational knowledge, but four years of track under his belt, as well.

“No one has had a greater impact than the track and field, and cross country coaches have on my life. They have deeply changed who I am today and without them I wouldn’t be the same person so, I would really hope you reconsider it [the stipends] because, I think that them being valued lesser than the other coaches and not being paid is quite disgusting, in my opinion,” Robertson said.

At the end of Robertson’s final high school track season, he was given the “Dirndl Award.” This award is presented to the athlete who the coaches feel is the most well-rounded on the team and as someone who they would consider as a potential coach, in the future.

“The way that I see how that these coaches are being treated, I wouldn’t want to impact that sort of environment,” Robertson said.