Summer school creating brighter minds

Summer school is a popular option to keep students productive during the summer months.

Photo By Nehemiah Lee

By: Jessica Tiv, Editor

Most students spend their summer traveling, watching Netflix or constantly sleeping. However, there are some students who decide to take summer courses to graduate early, get ahead, catch up or to get required courses out of the way.

These motivated students need to be offered more summer courses and opportunities as opposed to constructing their possible academic achievements.

According to Kaneland.org, there are only a few summer courses offered: economics, speech and government. However, French teacher Victoria Davis and I think that more summer courses should be offered.

“More classes should be offered, especially semester long classes. It’s great for those who want to get ahead. It gives students more opportunities in high school. It allows students to get the required courses out of the way,” Davis said.

The benefits of summer school allow students like sophomore Margaret Burger and others to have a more relaxed schedule during the normal school year.     

“I wanted to take summer courses so I could finish school early and my schedule over the normal school year wouldn’t be as packed,” Burger said.

Summer school can also help boost a student’s GPA, according to Verywell.com. This is because the environment is much more relax and allows students to concentrate better by allowing for smaller class sizes, which is a clear reason why more classes should be offered.

However, a reason why some who argue that more summer courses are not offered is because teachers aren’t available. On the contrary, though, this is not true because teachers, like Davis aren’t usually busy during June and if they are, they can just decide not to teach that summer.

“I would be reading a lot of books because I wouldn’t know what to do with all my free time,” Davis said.

However, since teachers, like Davis don’t do much over the summer, they might as well spend their time helping students succeed.         

Implementing more summer courses would allow students like Burger to graduate high school early and get a head start on life.

“Graduating early would have possibly allowed me to start college earlier or get a job easier and earn money,” Burger said.

There is no reason why summer school shouldn’t be offered because summer school can only help a student with raising their GPA, allowing for a more relaxed school year, and allowing students to get required courses out of the way. all positives that should be promoted and encouraged.