Grant Wilk animates his future

Blender 3D is a software that allows you to sculpt 3D characters, animate model, develop CG scenes, create simple games, and much more. Wilk has been using Blender since 2012.

By: Aaron Beasley, Reporter

“I create VFX scenes and CG scenes in a software called Blender as well as graphic design and motion design and I build computers. I love anything technology related.”

Grant Wilk is a VFX artist, animator, motion designer, filmmaker, photographer, web designer, graphic artist, computer programer, youtuber, pole vaulter and a junior at Kaneland High School. He runs a 3D open-source software called Blender which he has been using since 2012.

“The reason I downloaded blender is because me and my friend Kyle saw Minecraft animations on Youtube. We were really interested in it and learning how to make things like that so he made this really weird animation of his Minecraft character doing stuff. Well I wanted to one-up him, so I one-upped him. He tried to one-up me, and I just kept getting better and better. Eventually he stopped using Blender altogether. And it all started with Minecraft animations. As painful as that is to say, that’s how that started. It’s just a one-up game. That’s what it turned into,” said Wilk.

Ever since Wilk has been getting better and better, always thinking about his next project and how he’d build that scene.

“The main thing I like to do the best is to build realistic materials. Like if you look at a wall vs the floor. You’ll notice the floor is slightly more reflective than the wall. And that’s what that is. So, It’s setting up these physical properties of everything. And that’s the part I like most about animation and CG is trying to figure out. ‘Hey thats a floor. Theres little scuffs in the floor. Look this part is more reflective on the floor.’ Stuff like that really interests me.”

Wilk runs a Youtube Channel called Remington Graphics. He teach viewers how to create materials, how to model, and how to rig and animate. Wilk also features a shop on his website that has downloads such as “procedural 4.”

“It basically allows people to create procedurally generated textures. Which are random but not quite random. It has guidelines.”

Wilk is unsure where he sees himself going in the future, but hopes to see himself in VFX or animation or some sort of computer programming. But no matter where he goes, you’ll be able to follow all his work at RemingtonGraphics.net.