Tip-off to college basketball

Photo By Emma Glennon

By: Emily Janecek, McKenna Mosley, and Hannah Garbacz

The clock is ticking. Time is running out. It’s all over after the buzzer goes off. One last time to stand on that court and to think, “that’s it”. High school basketball has flown by, and now it is time for these seniors to soar off to college. Dan Franck, Jake Hed, Kylie Modaff, Mason Conroy and Morgan Weber are finishing off their last year to participate in high school basketball. These young athletes are more than just your average people. They shed their blood, sweat and tears on the court they called home. This is their last chance to give it their all, leaving their mark on these school grounds.

Franck, a 6’2” forward is ready to finish off his final year of high school athletics and is planning to end it off participating in track. He wants to go to the University of Madison Wisconsin, but won’t continue playing basketball in college. His coach, Joseph Conroy, thought he was a great asset to the team this year.

“Dan brought size on the wing and on the inside, along with the ability to score in many ways,” Conroy said.

Although Conroy only knew Franck since Junior year, he thought he was a great team player. Franck wants other basketball players to know its not all about hand-eye coordination it’s about communicating and working as a team to get stronger.

Also participating in golf this year, Hed, a 5’9” guard says this is his last year playing a team sport. He plans on playing golf in college instead of pursuing his basketball career. Conroy, who was already familiar with Hed’s abilities because of coaching him prior in AAU (Amateur Athletic Union), said that he “brought a defensive mentality to the guard position.” Not only did Hed bring defense to the table, but Conroy also stated that, “[he] had some big games offensively too.” As a senior, Hed has left his mark on the program and helped lay a foundation for the future basketball players.

Kylie Modaff, a 6′ forward was sadly injured this season, but worked just as hard and still left a positive impact on the team. Being injured didn’t seem to scare her away from the court. It brought her closer to the sport, giving her time to think and the ability to step up to her team. She has decided to play basketball in college but does not yet know what college she will be attending.

“ I loved watching her grow into an excellent leader. She is very vocal and isn’t afraid to hold people accountable. Modaff makes her impact on the basketball program, on and off of the court,” Colombe said. 

Son of Conroy, Mason, a 5’8” guard plans to end his sports career in high school. He plans to follow in his fathers footsteps and become a teacher when he graduates college. His dad never thought he would be coaching his own son as a varsity player. “Mason brought emotion and toughness that our team needed to go through the season” Conroy said. He also believes he might coach basketball just like his dad.

Bound to go to Louis College for softball, Weber, a 5’6” guard is leaving off a great season with Colombe.

“Morgan has reaffirmed that athletes can play more than one sport at a high level. She should be a role model for the many female athletes we have in our building because she plays multiple sports and does so at a high level,” Colombe said.

She knows because of her height it would be hard to play college ball, but with her talent, she could be playing both sports.

Making varsity basketball possible, Colombe and Conroy have shown just as much effort as these seniors.

“These seniors inspired me to bring my best each day because there was never a day they did not give their all.  A coach cannot ask for more than that” Conroy said.

The coaches wanted to say thanks to all the leaving players and giving all they had for the past two years and that they will miss them.