Little Scientists in the Making

By: Vanessa Pitts, Editor

Science teacher Joanna Edelman met with several high school students preparing to become educators to put together fun science experiments for the preschoolers at KHS. The activities helped students learn how to work with kids and how to plan out activities as a teacher.

“I hope the kids develop a passion for science. It should be introduced to them as early as possible. All the high school students participating are going into education so this gives them an early experience to learn how to work with kids,” Edelman said.

Many of the high school students who participated in the activity enjoyed doing it because it helps them learn how to interact with children.

“I’m doing pediatrics. I like doing activities like this because working with different kids helps me learn their mindset. Kids also judge us right away so doing things like this let us work with them and gain their trust,” junior Justin Shroka said.

The activity helps the students learn how to work with kids and also helps to prepare them for their future careers.

“Working with kids now and watching them learn helps us all learn how to work with them so we can prepare ourselves in the future,” junior Cierra Kuipers said.

Meeting to work with the kids is a good learning experience for both the high schoolers and the preschoolers.

“I want the preschoolers to develop a love for science at a young age. I want them to develop a sense of wonder about the world. For the high school students, I want them to keep learning. We tend to forget about the small things, I want them to remember to take in all the little things while doing this,” preschool teacher Carol Zegiel said.

The high school students can learn how to make their lessons both fun and educational for their students.

“I want to go into elementary education. I like doing things like this because it gives me a real life example of teaching. It gives me an idea of how to plan things to do with the kids and also keep them interested in learning while having fun,” junior Isaac Martin said.