Kaneland Krier

Student advisory update

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student advisory update

Photo by Vanessa Pitts

Photo by Vanessa Pitts

Photo by Vanessa Pitts

By: Sarah Prunty, Reporter

Student Advisory started up at the beginning of the year, meeting a couple Thursday’s a month during Late Start. A group of students from each grade were chosen at random to attend the first meeting, and around 30 students now are in the group.

While students are not allowed to formally join anymore, their voices are still important to the advisers. Any student is able to email the advisers, Counselor Anne Kuntz, or Assistant Principal Carri Oslager with any problems that may need solving.

“It is really their advice that we are seeking, so whatever they wanna talk about, they bring up,” Kuntz said. “Eighth to ninth transition, freshman year, we talked about school bullying and we talked about depression and relationships.”

The group is starting to discuss problems in the school, and how it really is affecting the student’s lives.

“We talk about what the students see as issues and things that need clarity,” junior Abby Gillogly said. “They can hear the students opinions. Hear more about our needs and such.”

The meetings are always Thursday mornings during Smart Start, so every student that is involved with the advisory are able to make it and be included.

The group was originally suppose to meet four times this school year, but have started meeting more frequently then planned. They have had three meetings so far, and more are too come.

“The Student Advisory group is an opportunity for students to share their ideas with administration. We use it as a feedback loop for communication among students & admin. We originally planned to meet once a quarter but the group we’ve had has expressed interest to meet more often,” Oslager said.

The students meet wherever there is free space in the school, sitting in a circle so they are able to pool all their thoughts together and talk freely.

They have a diverse group of students, able to get a view from the smallest corner of the school.

Vanessa Pitts, Webmaster

Grade: 12
Position: Webmaster
Hobbies: Playing guitar and ukulele
Extracurriculars: Global cultures, Educators Rising
Favorite thing: Her...

• Student advisory update

Features

Take a trip overseas

• Student advisory update

Audio

Krier Sports Wire: Episode 14

• Student advisory update

Basketball (Boys)

Krier Sports Wire: Episode 13

• Student advisory update

Basketball (Boys)

Krier Sports Wire: Episode 12

• Student advisory update

Krier sports wire

Krier Sports Wire: Episode 11

The student news site of Kaneland High School.
Student advisory update