Kaneland Krier

Wrestling at a new school

Photo by Sandra Gale

Photo by Sandra Gale

Transferring from one school to the next is not always easy for everyone, but Calvin McDonald, a senior who transferred from Marmion High School has fit right in with the flow of Kaneland.  McDonald plays football, but he spends his winters wrestling.

“Practices at Marmion were more vigorous and a lot more intense,” McDonald said.

McDonald is enjoying his time here wrestling for Kaneland, however, he says that it was a little hard at first to get to know everyone and the coaching staff.

“Once I got to know everyone practices and meets became a lot easier,” McDonald said.

The team is not having the greatest of seasons, but McDonald has a record of 14-2 with 11 pins and 3 forfeits.  A pin is when one wrestler holds their opponent on their back or chest for a 3 count.  

McDonald wrestles at the 220-pound weight class.  Entering the school year McDonald set a goal for himself to reach 220-pound weight class because he was weighing in at 245 pounds.  He reached this goal by staying active in the weight room and eating right at home and not eating as much.  With football practices in the summer and fall, McDonald was able to use them to help the weight.

McDonald also wanted to be able to perform well here at Kaneland just like he did at Marmion.  So far this season McDonald has proven that he can perform at a high calabore level with his winning record.  Performing at this level McDonald hopes that he can qualify for the state tournament.

After high school McDonald does not have interest in playing any sports at the next level as he would much rather join the Navy.

• Wrestling at a new school

News

Change in pass rules

• Wrestling at a new school

Photo Gallery

Behind the scenes preparing for the spring musical

• Wrestling at a new school

Battle of

Battle of the state parks

• Wrestling at a new school

Movies

I love dogs, but do I?

• Wrestling at a new school

Movies

Ready Player One adventures into new cinematic terrority

The student news site of Kaneland High School.
Wrestling at a new school