Save Money, Take the Bus

“Buzz buzz buzz!” there goes the daily alarm and here comes the morning rush to get to school. Some students may say that driving to school is a good thing because they can make their morning coffee pit-stops, can sleep in longer and don’t have to take the bus. I think it’s a waste of time. Students should think twice about driving to school because of excessive parking fees,  gas prices and winter dangers.

First and foremost, temporary parking at Kaneland is way too expensive. I mean, $4 a day is way too much for those people who drive to school every day but don’t have a pass. Even if you do decide to buy a year long pass, the price is $180. Either way, the expense is still upscale.

Every other week, I take out $20 from my bank account to put toward driving to school until I can buy a pass. Students could save a lot of money by taking the bus rather than paying $4 three or four times a week.

Ever since I got my car, I am responsible for going to the gas station and paying for gas. Personally, I stress when I have to pay for gas and car payments because I might run out of money eventually.

Now that those cold months are coming, driving in the winter could be a big problem too.

Winter is nearing, which means the roads are going to get dangerous due to the black ice, slush and snow on the road. According to safewinterroads.org, over 1,300 people are killed and more than 116,800 people are injured in vehicle crashes on snowy, slushy or icy pavement annually.

Think about it, this could happen to any of us at Kaneland during the morning, especially when it’s dark outside, and if it happens to snow. Plus, the snow plows sometimes don’t salt the roads. Students should just take the bus, so they can take all that worry off of their backs.

Although a  positive of driving to school is, you might have more time to sleep in and eat breakfast. But the cost is too high.