Kaneland Krier

Walkouts for gun control

The+first+of+the+school+walkouts+will+take+place+on+March+14+at+10+a.m.+
The first of the school walkouts will take place on March 14 at 10 a.m.

Parkland, Florida takes Columbine, Colorado’s spot as the home of the deadliest high school shooting in American history. Fourteen students and three staff members were shot and killed Valentine’s Day 2018.

Walkouts have been planned at schools nationwide by students who are tired of all the gun violence. They are walking out to protest different gun laws and school safety regulations, while in remembrance of the victims of the Florida shooting.

The word about the walkouts is being spread through the word of mouth as well as Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. Lane Murdock created a petition on www.change.org that is blowing up with signatures.

The first planned walkout is March 14, 2018, at 10 a.m., which marks exactly one month since the deadly shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Students are supposed to walk out of class and out of the building peacefully and sit outside for seventeen minutes. Each of these minutes designated to a life lost in the attack.

On March 24, 2018, student organizers are going to Washington D.C. to march and protest school safety regulations and gun laws. These students are demanding an effective bill be proposed to Congress to address gun control and school safety.

The second planned walkout is April 20, 2018. This the nineteenth anniversary of the shooting at Columbine High School. 13 innocent people were killed at Columbine that day and both shooters took their own lives bringing the total deaths to 15. Over 135,000 students have signed Murdock’s petition saying that they pledge to walk out of their school on April 20, 2018, wearing orange and protesting gun laws online and in your communities.

• Walkouts for gun control

Community

Kanye at Kuipers?

• Walkouts for gun control

Community

National school walkouts: how Kaneland compares

• Walkouts for gun control

Community

New stores open in the Commons

• Walkouts for gun control

Community

Culver’s open for business in Sugar Grove

• Walkouts for gun control

Community

KHMS hosts fourth annual Kolor Run

The student news site of Kaneland High School.
Walkouts for gun control