Kaneland Krier

Second hold-in-place in one week

A+45+caliber+bullet+was+found+in+the+boy%27s+bathroom+at+approximately+10+a.m.+on+Monday%2C+February+26.+
A 45 caliber bullet was found in the boy's bathroom at approximately 10 a.m. on Monday, February 26.

Photo by Bridget McCracken

Photo by Bridget McCracken

Updated February 27, 2018 12:55 p.m.:

Kaneland High School was put in their second hold-in-place within one week on Monday, Feb. 26 at approximately 10:20 a.m. The hold-in-place was lifted at approximately 1:20 p.m.

A student found found a 45 caliber bullet in the Fox Valley Career Center boy’s bathroom and alerted a security member. Administration was notified immediately leading to students and staff being asked to stay in their classrooms while still being able to continue activities.

Administration looked through security footage and began identifying the students who had entered the bathroom since the last security check.

“We had several security and staff on camera duty reviewing those cameras’ footages and then anybody that would have been identified as someone who has gone in, we brought them down to just ask them if they knew anything about it and we checked their bags,” principal Jill Maras said.

Some Fox Valley Career Center students were already back at their schools so the schools went through and searched their possessions themselves.

“We also were making a list of kids that were not at our building but were in the other buildings and we contacted all those schools and they were phenomenal working with us,” Maras said.

After searching approximately 20 students, they were able to identify the student who put the bullet in the bathroom as a 17 year old male from Batavia High School.

After ensuring that there were no other dangers, the parents of the Batavia student were contacted and the student was released back to them according to the press release from Lt. Patrick Gengler.

Batavia High School and the Kane County Sheriff’s Department are now responsible for investigating the case. There are currently no charges pressed against the student.

Administration is open to student information when a hold-in-place is in action.

“Everybody needs to assume we (administration) don’t know… it’s better that we’re inundated with tons of stuff than not getting out what we have,” Maras said.

Student Resource Officer Sarah Conley realizes that prevention is tough but wants to ensure students that they are safe.

“I consider you guys all my kids and I would never do anything that wasn’t in your absolute best interest,” Conley said.

Original:

Kaneland High School was put in their second hold-in-place within one week on Monday, February 26 at approximately 10:20 a.m. The hold-in-place was lifted at approximately 1:20 p.m.

Kaneland security member found a 45 caliber bullet in the Fox Valley Career Center boy’s bathroom. Administration was notified immediately leading to students and staff being asked to stay in their classrooms while still being able to continue activities.

Administration looked through security footage and began identifying the students who had entered the bathroom since the last security check. After searching approximately 20 students, they were able to identify the student who put the bullet in the bathroom as a 17 year old male from Batavia High School.

There are currently no charges pressed against the student, but authorities are still investigating.

• Second hold-in-place in one week

Activities

Kaneland gets fired up before the homecoming game

• Second hold-in-place in one week

Activities

I believe… I believe the seniors won

• Second hold-in-place in one week

Featured Stories

A world full of opportunities

• Second hold-in-place in one week

Monday

Board meeting discusses funding and literacy program

• Second hold-in-place in one week

Football

Knights defeat the Olympians

The student news site of Kaneland High School.
Second hold-in-place in one week