A World Full of Opportunities

Graduate+Katie+Meuer+teaches+a+class+about+where+she+lives+in+the+country%2C+Lesotho.+

Photo By Abril Salinas

Graduate Katie Meuer teaches a class about where she lives in the country, Lesotho.

High school is a time when students look into their future and start determining their next steps. Kaneland graduate Katie Meuer is a part of the Peace Corps in Lesotho, but had not even thought about that as a livelihood while in high school.

“Peace Corps wasn’t really on my mind in high school a whole lot but I didn’t feel like I had to know exactly what I was doing or what I wanted to do,” Meuer said.

Meuer worked hard in school to get good grades and be successful. She was the valedictorian of her class, went to Heartwood College in New York to get her undergrad and studied Anthropology and Biochemistry.

“I like the relationships that I form with people and just learning about the different culture and getting the opportunity to evaluate my own culture and background and beliefs and how those are formed,” Meuer said.

Peace Corps is a volunteer association run by the U.S. government, with their headquarters located in Washington, D.C. They provide technical assistance, help people in other countries become more knowledgeable about the United States and allow volunteer Americans to better understand different cultures.

“Every day I have a conversation with someone about something that I do or something they do, and since I’ve been able to form those relationships it is very easy to be open and comfortable with sharing ideas, so there is a better understanding of each other and why things are done the way that they are,” Meuer said.

Students go to school and are stuck in the mindset of getting good grades and getting a job, but Meuer believes traveling and being able to see the world while learning about different cultures is the best thing to do.

“There is a difference between taking a vacation and traveling. If you’re going to go to a country, try to go outside the tourist places and talk to people when you’re there, even if they’re not native to that country. They might have immigrated there, or they might have their own perceptions. It’s just cool to see how other people’s lives differ from yours,” Meuer said.