Homecoming chill vs. thrill

Homecoming decorations in the process of being set up for the big night.

Photo By Madeline Mohatt

By: Alicia Rocha, Skylar Rolle, Editors

Chill-

As a student in high school, dealing with social events is a given, but most of these events appeal to a certain group of people. Not all high school students enjoy large, crowded, functions, especially when they are shy or even have social anxiety.

One of these social events is called Homecoming. Homecoming is the first dance of the new school year, usually held within the second month of school. The whole school gets so excited that there’s even a spirit week dedicated to it. It does not seem fair for the students who are not going to Homecoming to have to endure that week of school.

Another problem that affects a student’s attendance at homecoming is finding a date. Homecoming is so early in the year nobody has even gotten the chance to warm up to one another, which makes it harder to find a date. Although a date is not required, it still feels comforting to have one.

On the other hand, some students get asked to homecoming, but they don’t have money for an outfit, or they have strict parents that won’t pay for a new dress or suit. This is not the students fault either, if they are too young to get a job themselves or their parents just don’t want them at Homecoming.

Just because students have been going to school with the same people since sixth grade or longer does not mean they are comfortable around them, or anyone. Social anxiety is the extreme fear of being judged by others in a social situation or performance. Kids who suffer from social anxiety will most likely find themselves not attending school dances and if they do they will most likely not have the best time.

There is nothing wrong with going to Homecoming and enjoying yourself, it is just not for everyone, and that is what high school is all about.

Thrill-

Homecoming is more than just trendy music and a pretty dress. It can be an event full of school spirit that leaves the attendees happy that their school knows how to provide a fun filled evening.

I think every student should go to Homecoming, as there is only one every school year. You shouldn’t waste the opportunity, as every high schooler only has four chances to attend.

Homecoming can be a great time to get all dolled up, dance alongside some good friends, and let go of any worries in your life just for the night. It’s a great way to bond with those who are already close to you. One of my favorite memories was just going with a group of my friends and dancing all night long.

If you’re in a relationship, homecoming is a great event to spend valuable time together. It’s always amazing to see your significant other dressed up, and from the evening you’ll get a bunch of classy pictures that will surely be cherished forever.

Some people complain that Homecoming ends up being a huge cost for one evening out. While this can be true after you add in the total from a dress, your hair and the tickets, it’s definitely worth it. The many memories made are priceless. For the event that it is, it’s not horribly expensive. To go to such a classy event and only pay $25, it’s not a bad price.

Kaneland’s Homecoming this year will feature B96, which made the dance incredibly better last year. Everyone talked about the great music they played and the party atmosphere they created for the crowd.

Whatever is stopping you from going to Homecoming, don’t let it. Homecoming is a blast every year, and it would be unfortunate to miss such an exciting event that will have the student body talking about it for weeks to come.