Cafeteria offers new and improved options

By: Julia Janis, Editor

It’s lunchtime at KHS and students are looking for a bite to eat, but it’s not the same old items from last year.

This school year has new additions and changes to food being sold in the cafeteria.

“We are doing lots of grilled sandwiches. We noticed students are buying mostly a la carte so we brought in regular cookies, chips and ice cream compared to the whole grain and low fat ones,” head cook Laura Hickman said.

According to Hickman, other additions this year include a Starbucks fridge and a salad bar.

Hot lunch has also changed for students. According to the KHS lunch menu on the district website, students can now choose to have a pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a large salad instead of the hot lunch is offered at $3.00.

According to the lunch board that is up daily at the hot lunch area, students must choose two sides, compared to last year where students could get all available vegetables and fruit. Hot lunch still includes a milk.

These changes were made as a way to experiment with new options, and to see what’s best for students.

“Sales were down, and we were on a government program. This year we’re on a milk program, but we don’t have to follow all the new guidelines anymore,” Hickman said.

The cafeteria also started selling breakfast items at Smart Start Thursday. Breakfast items include bagels, apple pastries, fruit, yogurt and coffee.

The lunch menu is posted on the Kaneland.org website and costs are posted on the bulletin board in the cafeteria.