Beloved staff member moves on to new opportunities

By: Lucas Rotter, Executive Editor

Lori Grant, who has been incredibly involved with the Kaneland community for many years, celebrates her last day here at Kaneland High School surrounded by her coworkers and her students.

Grant came to Kaneland after being the choir director at Batavia so she could see her children more.

“My children were very little at the time and I barely got to see them. I moved to the middle school (HMS) to spend time with my family,” Grant said.

Grant has taken a job offer of being a corporate trainer for Gordon Food Service.

“They’re the largest privately owned food distributor in North America,” Grant said.

Grant has been with Kaneland for quite some time and has created some special relationships with her peers and students.

“It’s my ninth year at Kaneland. Five years at Harter Middle School, and four years here,” Grant said

“What will you miss most about Kaneland?”

“The kids and the staff, I just built some really great relationships at Kaneland,” Grant said.  Three words Grant used to describe her time at Kaneland were “Joyful, busy and inspiring.”

Grant has a short statement to her students.

“I want to leave you with these thoughts….keep being leaders. When you see something that needs to be done, or something that can be better, say to yourself “what can I do to help.” Then, do it. Don’t wait for others to do it for you. Don’t assume someone can do it better than you or will even try. It is absolutely amazing what ONE person can do to make changes…be that person. Finally, always, always trust your instincts and do what is good and right. I have so much love and respect for every one of you. I will be following all that you do, and I wish you all the very, very best!” Grant said.

KHS Principal Jill Maras has provided a statement in regards to Grant’s new career opportunity.

“Mrs Grant has made an amazing impact on Kaneland High School.  Her positive energy and school spirit was infectious, and she truly brings out the best in all of us.  She will be missed!  Because she cares deeply for Kaneland she has also set us up to continue her passions into the future.  She has left us in good hands and has prepared us.  We are thrilled for her upcoming opportunity and are happy for her,” Maras said.